Bread knives are considered as an underutilized tool in one’s kitchen. It plays a special role in a kitchen knife set. This article will guide you the right way to use a bread knife, sharpen a bread knife, slice bread and pick the most appropriate bread knife for all your slicing requirements.
What is a Bread Knife?
The use of a bread knife is not just limited to cutting a bread loaf. It can even cut cakes or delicately baked food. It has a long-serrated blade due to which it offers the best level cutting than a plain edge knife. Serrated blades are efficient at cutting hard materials. The common length of blade of a bread knife is about eight inches. A few models are also available up to ten inches in length.
There are three different kinds of serrations present on a bread knife such as scalloped, small teeth serrations and large teeth serrations. The kind of serration determines the use of a bread knife. Laguiole is one of the most reputed places to buy handmade knives. This company provides an extensive collection of knives made from superior wood and stainless steel.
What are the uses of Bread Knife?
If your daily task involves a lot of sawing and hard cutting work, then this serrated edge bread knife is the ideal bet. A bread knife is capable of cutting a wide range of foods:
- Tomatoes or any vegetable that has a hard but soft interior
- Whole citrus fruits
- Hard processed meats, like salami
Tips to buy the right bread knife
Bread knife comes in a variety of shapes, blade length, and models to choose from. Without good information about these features, its selection can become quite overwhelming. Here are listed a few tips to make your selection work easier.
- Blade length and shape: Buy a bread knife that is longer in size than a typical width of the bread loaf. The curved shape of the blade provides a better clearance so that you do not hurt yourself while working with it on the cutting board.
- Serrations: If you are looking for a knife that gives you a precise cutting, then serrations are an important aspect to consider. The blade of a bread life that has lesser, deeper pointed and broader serrations will give you efficient cutting.
- Ergonomic design: Serrated knife blade models are positioned either below the handle or above the handle. The best bread knife provides a comfortable and secure grip for the user.
- Maintenance: To minimize the requirement to sharpen the blades, you must select a knife that is made using high-carbon steel that holds a razor-sharp edge.
- Blade material: Most of the bread knives are made using carbon stainless steel, ceramic, stainless steel, and high-carbon steel.
- Blade width: Choose narrower blades for improved cutting performance.
It is important to learn about the features and types of bread knife before you step into the market. The best method to find appropriate pocket knife is to get more information about it. Being informed will make a better buying decision.